Have you ever run into a situation where someone expert has suggested updating motherboard drivers. But you don’t know how to update motherboard drivers on your own. Well! I have brought this discussion in the article to increase your understanding of motherboard and updating motherboard drivers using simple methods.
Let’s look at the motherboard driver’s basics and how you can update motherboard drivers on different operating systems.
What is the Motherboard Driver?
The first important thing to understand is what kind of drivers are necessary and why we need them before installing or updating. Hardware and software are the two known technologies used in computers. Hardware deals with the interaction with your system, just like the keyboard is used for input.
The other hardware components like processor, memory, and motherboard also belong to this class of components. While on the other hand, the software converts all the commands sent to the computer into something the hardware can easily understand and works for.
Motherboard drivers ensure that the hardware and software of your computer work conveniently. The devices are only intermediaries for your hardware and software. If you want to use any hardware, you may need to install its driver first so your system can access the resources for working on it.
How Do I Update My Motherboard Drivers?
If you want to update your motherboard driver and don’t know how to update mobo drivers, there are various ways for this process. The easiest way is by using the operating system with a few clicks, and the software will install and update automatically.
How to Update Motherboard Drivers Windows 7?
You can get various drivers for the motherboard on the manufacturer’s website. However, you may be asking yourself! When should I update my chipset drivers? You can easily download any Chipset driver in a few ways. Here is the process to help you quickly download and update the drivers:
1) Manual Download
You can download drivers for your motherboard manually but only visit the official sites of the manufacturers of the motherboard. If you know about the manufacturer of your motherboard, then follow the steps below:
- To run the program, press (Windows + R key) and type cmd.
- Open the Command Prompt as an administrator (type “cmd” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter)
- After opening the Command Prompt, type:
wmic baseboard gets the product, Manufacturer, version, serial number. This command will show you the motherboard manufacturer, its serial number, and the product’s name. You can use an alternate method by using the msinfo32.exe, and you will see the display of a summary of your system.
- Press the Windows + R key and type msinfo32.homerun msinfo32
- The System Information dialog box will open through this.
- Now check the BaseBoard product and manufacturer of the motherboard. You will get the motherboard name and manufacturer from this prompt.
When you find out the name and manufacturer of your motherboard, then follow the following process for downloading its driver:
- Visit for the driver the official Download Center.
- When selecting your product type, you will easily find the motherboard driver. Product Series may be AMD or Intel, and then the Product Model is the name of your Motherboard.
- After selecting the right product, the site will automatically give the motherboard support like the latest version of BIOS, Warranty type, Memory and CPU Support, driver and utility, Documentation, and Manual.
- Now select the Operating system when the driver tab opens.
- At this time, you will get the list of the latest drivers from a web application specific to your motherboard.
- You can now search for the Chipset driver, which will be for your motherboard.
However, on this webpage, you will get the driver for your motherboard and the drivers for other hardware gears such as VGA Drivers, BIOS-utility, SATA, LAN, Audio, and various other drivers.
- Select the desired driver, Chipset, and then click Download.
- Download the file with a .zip extension.
- When downloading is complete, this .zip file is ready, and you can extract it in any folder on your computer.
- After extracting it, open the file, search for setup, and install the driver.
- Restart your computer when the process of installation is complete.
2) Update from Device Manager
The Device Manager also updates the motherboard’s driver. Using the device manager, you can also download the drivers for your internal and external hardware components.
By following these steps, you can easily update the motherboard’s driver. Read these mentioned steps carefully and apply them:
- Click on the Device Manager by pressing the Windows + X key.
- The sections of the driver will display here. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
- The listed driver is inside the motherboard driver’s IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. You can select Update Driver by right-clicking on it.
- Now click on Search for drivers automatically.
- The latest version of the drivers will automatically be installed by the Device Manager and also fix if there is any update is required
- When all the installation process is complete, restart your computer.
However, you may select Browser my computer for drivers if you stored a local motherboard driver. Device Manager will allow you to browse the right driver. When you locate the driver, click on the next one. Then installing process will start, and it will completely restart your computer.
3) Using Windows Update
The other utility for downloading and installing any update from using the Windows Update, and you can not only do Window update but also update the driver and BIOS at once. You only need to right-click by using the Device Manager manually; as a result, all drivers will be updated. From this Windows Update process, we will remain safe from bothering.
Steps are following
- Open the setting by pressing the Windows + I key
- Open Windows Update and click on Check for updates or Install Updates.
- The OS will automatically download or install if any update is required.
- Windows or BIOS will install all of your pending updates.
How to Update Motherboard Drivers Windows 10?
If you are on a hunt to look for methods to update chipset drivers for Windows 10, gladly, there are two main ways. They can be updated automatically by Windows Device Manager or downloaded and installed manually. You can also use a third-party motherboard driver updater for better control over the options.
1) Update Chipset Driver Automatically in Device Manager
The first and easy way to install or update your driver is by using Device Manager. The following steps will help you in this regard:
- Right-click on the Start Menu and click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now expand the system devices tree and select chipset driver.
- Click on the Update Driver from the options.
- After this, you will see two options for updating the chipset driver. You can select from them as you want to “automatically update chipset driver software.” This option will help you automatically install or update the driver, and you will be safe from any hassle.
- Your chipset driver will be installed or updated automatically, and you only need to follow the directions on your screen. However, you can also edit these drivers manually from the chipset driver in Windows 10.
2) Manually Update the Chipset Driver
The second method uses manual installation and updating your system driver. Windows 10 is 32-bit, or 64-bit is the exact driver for your windows.
- To open the setting window, press Windows + I and right-click on it.
- Now click the “About” and scroll down to the right side of the pane to the “Device Specifications” section. Here you will see the type of your system is 64bit or 32bit.
- After this, go to the official website of the motherboard manufacturer. For this, we will take the Intel chipset driver, for example. Now click for their official driver on the website.
- To continue this process, select the Chipset section.
- You can choose the product type from the pop-up window, and from the drop-down window, you can select the operating system. It will filter the chipset that you want to load. However, you can also enter the product name or keyword in the search bar.
- Select the appropriate chipset driver at this stage and click on Download in the next.
- When you finish downloading the drivers, open these files and follow the instructions on your screen to install them correctly on your computer.
How to Update Motherboard Resources?
BIOS is another primary source to pay attention to for an update for better functions. BIOS is like an interface; you can control and connect all of the components of the motherboard through it. The system will remain constant and well-matched with the other modules of computer loke drivers.
But your motherboard will be rendered useless if the power is lost during the BIOS update. That’s why it is essential to check before starting whether the manufacturers launched any BIOS update or not. You can get information by running the msinfo32 in Command Prompt about the version of BIOS.
Now check the Version or date of BIOS; this is your motherboard’s current version. Once you know the current BIOS version, follow these steps for updating.
- Go to the download center of the motherboard manufacturer and search its model.
- After locating the model of the motherboard in the Download center, search for BIOS and Firmware.
- Now check for the latest version of BIOS. If this matches your BIOS version, then there is no need t update it. If they are not a match, then download it.
- Extract and copy the downloaded file and paste it into a blank pen drive. However, if you get instructions in the .zip file, it may have more information about updating the BIOS. However, there is a need to read the instruction.
- Restart your computer after installing and enter the BIOS by pressing the Del, F2, or F9 key. It will depend on the manufacturer. Ensure that the updated file’s pen drive remains attached to your computer.
- When the BIOS, search for EZ Flash, Q Flash, or M Flash settings. You can use these menus to update BIOS using a USB drive.
- The update will automatically start when you select the file.
- It is essential to remember that your computer or laptop will not stop or turn off during the update.
When you update the drivers of the motherboard, it will work flawlessly, and you will face no issue in this respect. But at the same time, a corrupted or outdated motherboard will decrease the whole performance of your system. So, these updates are essential for the best performance and work.
When the manufacturers bring a new version for a specific driver, they will notify their users. You can check manually for the change log whether any leading changes require your immediate action or not.
Generally, it is a better idea to update the chipset drivers as soon as you see any update, as they are usually free from the bugs of previous drivers. They also improve the efficiency and performance of the motherboard.
It is a good idea to visit the official website of the motherboard manufacturer. If there is any need to update the version, the official website will provide you with all the details. You can compare the driver installed on your PC vs. the update available on the website. If they match, then you already have updated drivers. If the website has the latest drivers listed, you can install and edit them using the methods provided in the article.